Sunday, November 11, 2007

Thom Jurek is bias and should be fired

This post will probably not interest ost of you, but since no one is reading my blog, I thought I'd use it as my personal therapy to get my own issues off my chest.

I produced an album with Joan Osborne called Breakfast in Bed. Thom Jurek of All Music gave it a lukewarm review which, in most cases, wouldn't bother me. In this case, it does since he is bias and actually wants to work with Ms. Osborne. So, here's what I wrote to the editorial department at All Music.

As a somewhat thriving album producer, I would request that you fire Thom Jurek. His reviews are bias and uncalled for. He states his opinion like it's fact and then critisizes based on his assumptions which are, more often that not, untrue. This type of reviewer demeans your publication and, in the process, makes everyone feel bad. In particular, I would like to address his review of the Joan Osborne album I produce, Breakfast in Bed.

He clear states in his biography posted on your site:

"Jurek believes that singer Joan Osborne is one of the most gifted vocalists of our time, but has yet to be recorded properly. His not-so-secret ambition is to co-produce (with Ms. Osborne) the album that proves it."

Since this is the case, how can he possibly offer a fair review of the album I produced for which he is obviously jealous of. By the same token, does he not think "Relish" was recorded correctly? That album received 9 Grammy nominations!

In any case, I can't understand why you'd allow this particular writer who obviously wants to work with this artist to write a critical review of this album...at the very least, you should allow his/your readers to respond to his allegations on how I recorded the project and what type of compression I used because he's just plain wrong.

Tor

2 comments:

Zoombadabing said...

This was the response I received back from AMG

From: "AMG Response" amgresponse@allmusic.com
Subject: A Message From allmusic.com Regarding Your Feedback
To: tor@tor.net
Organization: All Media Guide
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 08:31:41 -0500
X-Library: Indy 9.00.10
X-Nonspam: None

Hi Tor,

Thanks for your feedback.

We always love hearing from our users and take their feedback to heart. When we receive this type of feedback on editorial material, we often use it as an opportunity to reevaluate the relevant artist's biography or album review. Depending on the type comments we receive, we may stick to our guns, editorially speaking, if we simply don't agree. Or, we may update the entry if we find the comments to be helpful in expanding or updating an artist's biographical information. If this is the case, please note that due to the heavy volume of inquiries we receive each day, it can take several weeks for any changes to appear on the site.

Either way, we're glad to hear from you, and hope you continue to visit and enjoy allmusic.com.

Best Regards,

AMG

Unknown said...

He didn't get fired though! He's still there writing, all the time.